Following are the most standard test automation tool used in most of the companies:
QTP/UFT: HP Functional Test, earlier known as HP’s Quick Test Professional is the Automation testing tool that supports number of environments such as Java, SAP, Delphi and many more. QTP can be collaborated with Quality centre which is actually a Test Management tool used for client/server applications.
Rational Robot: It is basically an IBM tool that is used to automate functional, regression and configuration tests for e-commerce, client server as well as ERP applications. This tool can be used with Rational Test Manager that helps in Test Management Activities
Selenium: This is an open source web Automation Tool which supports all kinds of web browsers and the most demanding tool in today’s market. Many companies are using this tool for sake of its performance and price. It can be integrated with multiple Test Management tools, Continuous Integration Tools etc.
How an Automation Tool should be chosen?
It is really a tricky task to choose an Automation tool. Following criteria will assist you in choosing the best automation tool for your test automation.
- There should be an Environment Support.
- It’s easy to use.
- Database Testing Feature should be present.
- Object identification should be there.
- Image Testing.
- Error Recovery Testing.
- Object Mapping availability.
- Scripting Language should be used.
- It should support various kinds of test such as- functional, mobile, etc
- Multiple testing frameworks should be supported.
- Debugging of automation software scripts is easy.
- Should recognize objects in any environment.
- Widespread test reports and results.
- Lessen training cost of selected tools.
Automation Tool selection is one of major trials to be undertaken prior opting for automation. Initially requirements should be identified, various tools and its capabilities should be explored. You should set the expectation from the tool further going for a Proof of concept.
Framework in Automation
A framework is actually a set of automation guidelines. It increases code re-usability, portability, reduce script maintenance cost etc. These are not rules and are not mandatory. You can script without following the guidelines. But you may miss some advantages of having a Framework. Guidelines are like:
- Maintains consistency of Testing
- Improved test structuring
- Usage of code is minimum
- Less Maintenance of code
- Re-usability is Improved
- Non-Technical testers can collaborate in code
- Training period of using the tool can be lessen
- Involves Data wherever suitable
Four types of framework are generally used in software automation testing:
- Hybrid Automation Framework
- Data Driven Automation Framework
- Modular Automation Framework
- Keyword Driven Automation Framework
What are Automation Best Practices?
Observe the following to get maximum ROI of automation
- Scope of Automation needs to be firm in much detail prior to start of the project. This will set expectations from Automation right.
- Select the right automation tool: A tool should not be selected grounded on its status instead, it’s acceptance to the automation requirements.
- Select suitable framework
- Scripting Standards– Standards have to be followed during writing the scripts for Automation. Some of them include-
- Generate constant scripts, comments and indentation of the code
- Adequate Exception handling include – How bug is handled on system failure or unexpected behaviour of the application.
- User defined messages should be standardized or coded for Error Logging for testers to recognize.
- Measure metrics– Success of automation is determined by capturing the following metrics and not by comparing the manual effort with the automation effort.
- Time requisite for automation testing for each and every release cycle
- Percent of defects to be found
- Customer satisfaction Index
- Minimum Time taken for release
- Productivity improvement
The above guidelines are indeed helpful while making selection of your automation tool.
What are the benefits of Automated Testing?
Following are advantages of automated testing:
- Much more faster than the manual testing say 70%
- Broader test coverage of application features
- Consistent in results
- Confirm Consistency
- Saves Cost and Time
- Increases accuracy
- Human Intervention is not needed during execution
- Rises Efficiency
- Excellent speed in executing tests
- Test scripts can be re-used
- Test thoroughly and Frequently
- Through automation, More cycle of execution can be achieved
- Primary time to market
You should have three essential things for Automation to be successful. They are Right selection of automation tool, testing process and team. For successful testing, Manual and automation methods go hand-in hand.